Accidents and Resolutions 

The multiple plate print I was creating today went wrong as it was going through the press. The sandpaper aquatint crab plate that I had inked up earlier and left on the hot plate was stuck to the paper when peeling it back off the press. 

The class tutor said it was likely to be because of the water soluble inks used. I tried the single plate again and it worked well. 

I am going to cut this print out and put it onto mount board and place that onto the multiple orange print above so it will stand out from the paper and correct the accident. Printmaking is all about trial and improvement after all! 

Decision-making.. 

Today was about decisions. With my marbled lobster plate as the central piece it was very difficult trying to find all the different pieces to arrange equally around the plate in a neat frame shape. A lot of reshuffling was involved, I’m still not satisfied with the last arrangement so I will have to keep thinking and making more textured plates!

IMG_20170509_144041

Idea 1


Visit to the shops/ the start of everything.

As I progress through University what continues to surprise me is how much inspires me to create. At the start of this semester I had no idea what I wanted to do in the printmaking module or what I wanted to focus it on , however there were two instrumental things that helped that. The first was a visit to the beach, obviously this is the sea, rock-pools, the sand and all the creatures that live in it.

A washed up fish, which I suspect was some kind of bottom dweller, was decomposing on the shoreline among the seaweed, although a slight bit stinky, the bone structure and remaining texture was really fascinating and I remember thinking at the time how it would make a interesting drawing. IMG_20160210_164942.jpg

The second part that really convinced me as to what I should do in printing was a visit to the local shops. After seeing the texture and contemplating using that as a starting point, when passing through the isle doing my daily shopping, the fish counter caught my eye, there were some fillets with the reflective scales facing upwards, the striped still glistening wet surface of the mussel shell and the shrimp and prawns with their nearly translucent but rigid exoskeleton, all of these established the sea creature theme that I have been working on. What I learnt from this semester most of all is that inspiration is all around us, we just have to let ourselves think and mull things over, time to consider what we have seen will eventually nourish that tiny seed of thought into a plant and that in itself will turn into fruitful rewards for us as artists either through the experience of creating artwork or the process of it.

IMG_20170509_185521

Fish Counter selection

Octopus prints 

 

The paper I printed this octopus on was put in the recycle pile in the print studios because it had been stained with wet tissue paper. I however think that the staining works quite well as a background addition to the print as it continues onto the main body of the octopus!

img_20170503_185314.jpg

Marbled Lobster! 

A few drops of lavender oil infused BIG ground, malt vinegar and boiling water and agitating the plate a bit a nice marble effect is created on the surface of the plate.

Taking the de greased plate with a previously etched outline of a lobster  it was gently placed on the surface of the water which transferred the marble pattern ground onto the plate. It was then baked for six minutes in the oven until solid. This is how it turned out…

 

I will paint around the shape of the lobster outline with liquid ground and bake. It will be then be etched, I aim to do this in the next week although with a art history exam coming up I’m not sure if I will manage to fit it in !