A Nautilus and a Lobster

Been working on multiple plate prints in the past few days, these two are among four of the outcome of this… 

Advertisements

Litho plate results… 

The litho plate with plankton that I created the other day worked extremely well and was easy to do , I opted for a moss green and brown mix that would compliment the other. The print below is after putting it through the press twice but in alternate directions and in different colours. 

Accidents and Resolutions 

The multiple plate print I was creating today went wrong as it was going through the press. The sandpaper aquatint crab plate that I had inked up earlier and left on the hot plate was stuck to the paper when peeling it back off the press. 

The class tutor said it was likely to be because of the water soluble inks used. I tried the single plate again and it worked well. 

I am going to cut this print out and put it onto mount board and place that onto the multiple orange print above so it will stand out from the paper and correct the accident. Printmaking is all about trial and improvement after all! 

Decision-making.. 

Today was about decisions. With my marbled lobster plate as the central piece it was very difficult trying to find all the different pieces to arrange equally around the plate in a neat frame shape. A lot of reshuffling was involved, I’m still not satisfied with the last arrangement so I will have to keep thinking and making more textured plates!

IMG_20170509_144041

Idea 1


Visit to the shops/ the start of everything.

As I progress through University what continues to surprise me is how much inspires me to create. At the start of this semester I had no idea what I wanted to do in the printmaking module or what I wanted to focus it on , however there were two instrumental things that helped that. The first was a visit to the beach, obviously this is the sea, rock-pools, the sand and all the creatures that live in it.

A washed up fish, which I suspect was some kind of bottom dweller, was decomposing on the shoreline among the seaweed, although a slight bit stinky, the bone structure and remaining texture was really fascinating and I remember thinking at the time how it would make a interesting drawing. IMG_20160210_164942.jpg

The second part that really convinced me as to what I should do in printing was a visit to the local shops. After seeing the texture and contemplating using that as a starting point, when passing through the isle doing my daily shopping, the fish counter caught my eye, there were some fillets with the reflective scales facing upwards, the striped still glistening wet surface of the mussel shell and the shrimp and prawns with their nearly translucent but rigid exoskeleton, all of these established the sea creature theme that I have been working on. What I learnt from this semester most of all is that inspiration is all around us, we just have to let ourselves think and mull things over, time to consider what we have seen will eventually nourish that tiny seed of thought into a plant and that in itself will turn into fruitful rewards for us as artists either through the experience of creating artwork or the process of it.

IMG_20170509_185521

Fish Counter selection

Octopus prints 

 

The paper I printed this octopus on was put in the recycle pile in the print studios because it had been stained with wet tissue paper. I however think that the staining works quite well as a background addition to the print as it continues onto the main body of the octopus!

img_20170503_185314.jpg